Liquid IT Ultra Football Sir Breadwins
One Foundation Four Winds NZCT Air Rescue & Community Services The Lion Foundation
Dynamic Electrical PV Tiling Plumbing Express


« Back
Tight Race for First Place Continues in Top League

Tight Race for First Place Continues in Top League

It was an impressive turnout of approximately 300 people at Wakefield Park to watch table leaders Wellington Olympic take on second place Miramar, who are now the only undefeated team in Central League and one point behind Olympic in the leader table.


Olympic made an impact on the game early on taking the lead through an impressive strike on goal. Miramar almost equalise immediately after when Henry Fa’arodo fed the ball to Corey Chettleburg, who crossed it into the goal box, but Olympic goal keeper Andrew Withers came out and collected the ball mid air above the heads of the Miramar strikers.

Miramar had another chance when playmaker Patrick Fleming took a free kick after Fa’arodo was tripped just outside the penalty box. Fleming’s kick cleared Olympic’s defensive wall but it didn’t go far enough into the goal box and Olympic were able to clear it.

Minutes later Fleming puts Olympic under pressure again with an unexpected and powerful shot on goal from the top of the penalty box, but it goes straight to the goal keeper. Withers fed the ball out and Fleming immediately attacks, putting the defender and keeper under pressure and they are forced into a clearance kick. The ball landed upfield and Olympic make the most of the possession, shooting quickly. Miramar goal keeper Phil Imray gets a touch to the ball but can't stop it as it rolled into the back of the net.

Two goals down, Miramar go on the offensive, a free kick taken by Wiremu Patrick forced Withers to come off his line and punched the ball clear mid flight. The ball landed at the feet of Paul Ryder but his shot went wayward.

Fa'arodo worked hard on the left hand side, looking dangerous and putting Olympic defenders under immense pressure. The Olympic defence were eventually able to limit Fa’arodo’s attack during the first half, shutting down his inside turn and holding him out wide, largely thanks to some sideline advice from some of the senior members of the Olympic Football Club.

Thirty minutes into the first half and Miramar had Olympic under pressure. Fleming and Ryder both took several shots, but Fleming hits the crossbar and Ryder's goes just wide of the goal post.  Wiremu Patrick had an opportunity with a free kick after Andrew Abba took out Fa’arodo just outside the penalty box, but Miramar can’t get the ball into the back of the net.

For the final fifteen minutes of the first half, Olympic are back in the game and looking sharp. They make the most of their chances, with their shots more accurate than Miramar’s so far this game. Olympic went into the half time break 3-0 up, after Maki Halikias ripped out an impressive shot 25 metres out from goal, powering the ball into the back of the net.

Both teams came out strong in the second half, with free kicks being awarded both ways. Ten minutes in neither side can get a break through.

Olympic take two shots in quick succession by Jimmy Haidakis and Chaz Lawrence but the first shot just goes high and Imray cleans up the second shot.

In what was predominantly end to end play in the second half, Miramar had two close chances at 25 minutes both created by Chettleburgh who played well for Miramar in midfield. Miramar kept their composure and played calm, controlled passes, creating opportunities through Fleming and Fa’arodo, as well as Chettleburgh. For much of the game Miramar can't quite finish off their opportunities. However, their persistence paid off.

The drought breaks ten minutes before the end of the game, when Miramar finally scored their first, and shortly after, their second, goals. Miramar controlled much of the play towards the end of the game, only interspersed with the occasional lightning speed breakaways by Haidakis and Lawrence, but neither can get the ball into the back of the net.

A heart breaking keeper error leads to Miramar’s third goal to equalise the game right on full time. Withers was on his knees to scoop up the ball in a routine save he would have made many times before, but the ball slipped through under his body, into the goal.

Capital Premier:

Wellington Olympic got back to winning ways with a conviencing 5-2 victory against Wainuiomata. This win sees Olympic move within four points of the top four. Goals were scored by J. Chmielewski, L. Colucci, A. Williams, J. Nelson and an own goal.

Next up sees high flying Waterside Karori at Wakefield Park.

For full weekend summary of Capital Football action please click here.

Fixtures & Results


Click here »


Click here »

Tiger Scaffolds
Havana Coffee Works
Capital Produce
Liquor Land
Advance Electrical
Wellington Sea Market

TBD Digital
Greek Orthodox Community of Wellington