Liquid IT Ultra Football Sir Breadwins
One Foundation Four Winds NZCT Air Rescue & Community Services The Lion Foundation
Dynamic Electrical PV Tiling Plumbing Express


« Back

Chatham Cup Rnd 1: Olympic 4 - Naenae 1

The 79th Year of the historical Chatham Cup kicked off on Saturday 19th of May. The Chatham Cup has been round since 1922 and has become the most prestigious and sought after trophy in New Zealand Club Football. Our very own Wellington Olympic kicked off there Cup Campaign with an away fixture to Capital One side Naenae.

In average conditions, the first half shaped up to be dominated by Wellington Olympic. Olympics' trio in the Midfield were consistently causing problems as they were able to find the time and space to create chances for the strike force of Costa Barbarouses, Anthony Neonakis and Jimmy Haidakis. Early on in the first half striker Anthony Neonakis was able to find space and a coolly distributed ball from the midfield was slotted under the keeper into the back of the net and Olympic were one nil up within the first twenty minutes. Olympic kept creating chances putting Naenae on the back foot, and soon after Anthony's opener Olympics Phoenix representative Costa Barbarouses was able to find space which he then cut in and coolly from outside the 18 Yard box he was able to bet the keeper near post. First half went on with both teams sharing possession but Wellington Olympics defense was able to control Naenaes English import well as he was getting isolated up front. Teams went into the break with Olympic leading two goals to nil.

The Second half was full of errors which caused frustration to Wellington Olympic. Olympic manage to win a corner and off a Jimmy Haidakis delivery Barry Lewis was able to latch onto the cross with the outside of his boot and volley it into the back of the net, crossbar and in. The second half went on with not many chances being created. Olympic started to give possession away cheaply and this cost them dearly as the ball got played back to Goalkeeper Andrew Toomath and unfortunately for Olympic Andrew was put under pressure which resulted into Naenae scoring as Andrew wasn't able to clear the ball. Olympics frustration grew as possession was once again given away cheaply this caused Mr. Lewis in bringing down his man. Unfortunately for Barry he was last man of defensive which resulted in being another sending off to Barry Lewis.

With 15 minutes to go Wellington Olympic started stringing some beautiful passes again. There high pressure and quick ball movement was causing Naenae problems as they began to start chasing shadows. Late into the second half Olympics strong finishing to this Cup tie resulted in their being a fourth and final goal. The Ball was played nicely in the attacking third and Jimmy Haidakis proved to be the platform as he was able to hold the ball up and John Gerondis came through the midfield placing the ball into the back of the net.

Final Score Olympic 4

Fixtures & Results


Click here »


Click here »

Tiger Scaffolds
Havana Coffee Works
Capital Produce
Liquor Land
Advance Electrical
Wellington Sea Market

TBD Digital
Greek Orthodox Community of Wellington